Determine your body composition and cellular health more accurately with a MetaScan BIA Health Assessment.
What is Body Composition?
Body composition is a method of describing what the body is made of. It also describes weight more accurately than BMI. Body composition analysis can accurately show changes in fat mass, muscle mass, and body fat percentage.
When you’re thinking of losing weight or simply want to see how healthy you are, you probably do one of two things: step on a scale or calculate your BMI. But the truth is, these methods don’t tell you anything about how healthy you are– all weight and BMI does is compare how heavy you are to a standard that doesn’t fit your individual goals. BMI and weight don’t differentiate between muscle and fat. So how can you? Through body composition analysis
Stepping on a body weight scale simply tells us the combined weight of all our body’s tissues. That weight may fluctuate throughout the day depending on the time of day, hydration status, if we have eaten, or what we are wearing.
In contrast, body composition reveals the relative proportions of fat and lean mass in the body. Fat mass consist of two types of fat: essential and nonessential fat. The second component of body composition, lean mass, refers to bones, tissues, organs and muscle.
Our body composition is a combination of our genetics and the environment we live in. You cannot change your genetics (blame your parents!) but you can do many lifestyle changes to improve your body composition.
Research has shown that your health is closely linked to your body composition. A normal balance of body fat is associated with good health and vitality whilst an excess in body fat in comparison to lean muscle mass, is associated with an increased risk of developing detrimental health conditions such as cardiovascular disease and diabetes.
What Is Bioelectrical Impedance Analysis (BIA)?
Bioelectrical Impedance Analysis (BIA) is a science that has been used for monitoring patients in hospital and research settings since the 1980’s. MetaScan is a TGA approved registered medical device called Quadscan which is a scientifically validated test and method of assessing your body composition.
Unlike DEXA, which uses radiation to perform a whole body x-ray to determine your body composition, BIA is non-invasive, safe and effective method of determining an accurate body composition.
The MetaScan BIA uses a small electrical signal that is circulated through the body. The BIA measures the resistance to the electrical signal as it travels through the water that is found in your muscle and fat. The more muscle a person has, the more water their body can hold. The greater the amount of water in a person’s body, the easier it is for the current to pass through it. The more fat, the more resistance to the current.
The test is completed in a matter of minutes and is painless – leads are connected to your hands and feet, and low voltage electrical currents are passed through your body. A detailed report of your body composition measurements is produced, providing insight into important aspects of your health.
The MetaScan BIA offers many advantages over other forms of body composition assessment tools, which allows us to provide personalised treatment programs that suit your body’s unique requirements.
The MetaScan BIA helps to determine your:
- True goal weight: based on your current level of muscle, not just your height and gender.
- Your body fat percentage: and the dietary changes required to improve.
- Muscle Mass: Find out the amount of muscle mass you have and monitor over time.
- Your total body water and fluid balance: find out if your cells are hydrated or if you are suffering from dehydration and/or water retention.
- Your Metabolic Rate: Find out how many calories you can eat in a day without gaining excess weight.
- Your health and vitality score: Using a prediction marker and phase angle we can monitor your progress to even minor changes, and ensure that your program is working for you.
- Muscle cell quality: Phase angle indicates the quality and health of your cells, allowing us to track over time and ensure that you are responding positively to increased activity or exercise.
Who can benefit from a MetaScan BIA ?
Those who want to:
- Manage their weight more effectively
- Increase muscle tone and fitness
- Improve energy levels
- Support healthy ageing
- Support the nutrition & health of their body
- Record the success of your gym sessions and exercise program – are you gaining healthy muscle?
- Know if they are losing fat, fluid or valuable muscle?
The MetaScan BIA is used as part of the Shake It Weight Management Program as well as with Naturopathic Consltations & Health Assessments.
Bookings can also be made for standalone MetaScan BIA appointments. These also include the Body Analysis and Cellular Health report. Individuals often use this to track progress as part of a fitness and weights training program.