Love Your Liver!
The silly season is among us! It’s the time of year we all look forward too. It’s a time to unwind, relax and celebrate with family and friends over an abundance of good food and cold drinks.
All that good work from healthy eating and regular exercise throughout the year is commonly undone at Christmas time, and then we are left feeling a litter fatter and not so healthy, resulting in those new year resolutions!
I am going to share some tips with you on how to survive the silly season and how to help you come out feeling as good as you felt going in!
We are all aware that our liver is one of the major organs that really get punished over the Christmas and New Year period, so it’s important that we take care of this important organ by giving it all the extra love and support we can!
The liver is responsible for the metabolism and detoxification of not just alcohol and synthetic/natural drugs, but also hormones such as testosterone, oestrogen, thyroid and insulin.
It is also the starting point of protein metabolism as well as storing important vitamins such as Vit A, D, E, K, B12 and minerals such Zinc, Iron and Magnesium. These are all involved in a lot of important metabolic functions in the body such energy production, digestion, oxygen transport and immunity.
Here are some tips to help cope with your silly season indulgence!
- St Mary’s Thistle – This wonderful herb has been used for thousands of years to help with the detoxification and cleansing of the liver and gall bladder, as well as aiding the regeneration of damaged liver cells, stimulating bile production and improving digestion. St Mary’s Thistle can be taken as a supplement, tonic or herbal tea.
- Herbal Iced Teas – A great way to keep hydrated and cleanse the body. St Mary’s Thistle Seed, Chamomile, Licorice, Peppermint, Ginger, Ginkgo and Ginseng are all great liver herbs to include in your summer iced teas! Lotus Naturopathy & Massage can personalise a herbal tea blend just for you!
- Fibre – Consuming a diet high in fibre will help promote the elimination of waste and toxins, and reduce the risk of it building up in the body.
- Water & Ice – Have a glass of water in between alcoholic drinks to help maintain hydration, add in a pinch of pink Himalayan crystal salt to help maintain mineral and electrolyte balance. Add lots of ice to your drinks for extra water intake.
- Sparking mineral water – Swap the soft drink for sparkling mineral water when mixing drinks to reduce the intake of sugar, and risk of dehydration.
- Mocktails – Enjoy a sneaky mocktail! No one will be the wiser!
- Eat before you party – Eat a nutritious meal packed with antioxidant rich whole foods before you go out and hit the party circuit, this will help reduce the risk of temptation of indulging on all that unhealthy party food.
Lotus Naturopathy & Massage can develop a tailored detoxification plan for you to help not only support your body from the silly season, but also recover from bad habits and overindulgence during these festive months!